Thursday, November 30, 2006

Honest People

Honest People
This week’s newspaper had a blurb about a woman who left her purse at one of the local grocery stores, and a store employee found it and returned it, intact. She was so pleased to know there are honest people in the city. I have a story too, about someone’s honesty. Several years ago when our son played hockey, it was a Thursday evening, we were leaving town the next morning to go to St. Cloud for a three-day stay for a hockey tournament. Usually I don’t carry much cash, even when going out of town, and don’t know why I did then (I think there was a reason, but can’t remember - probably was one of my “efforts” to stay on a budget!) Anyhow, I went to the ATM after work and withdrew $300.00. Then I proceeded on to Cub Foods, to buy some snacks and goodies for the hotel room. I wrote a check for the groceries. I wheeled my cart out to the car, and put the bags in the car. I drove off. I was almost home when I noticed that my purse was not lying on the front seat of the car. Oh my, you talk about panicking. I was just sick. I knew I must have left it in the cart. I was sure it would be gone, and with it all the cash. I drove back to where the car was parked, looked all around…nothing… then rushed into the grocery store to the customer service counter…well, the minute I started asking if they found a purse, the clerk handed it to me, and said is this it? When I looked inside and saw the money was still in the wallet, I couldn’t believe it… there ARE honest people in this world. Every dollar was there. I was so so thankful! The clerk didn’t know who brought it in, but said that someone found it in a grocery cart in the parking lot. You know, I was planning to write a letter to the editor, thanking who ever turned it in…but by the time we got back from the hockey tournament, back to work, and everyday hectic life, and my procrastinating personality, I never got it done! That was a lot of money, but then, maybe they didn’t look inside, who knows, I just know that it was a time in our life where we couldn’t afford to lose $300! I never put my purse in the grocery cart since that happened! Can you imagine how miserable my family and I would have been for a long time if we had lost that money! Plus, I would have never heard the end of it from my husband! (That would have been the worst part!) Thank goodness for honest people. Life is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>