Tuesday, February 07, 2006

CHUM - 33 Years Later

Linda's Thoughts from Duluth
CHUM

CHUM in Duluth stands for Central Hillside United Ministries. In 1973 a group of churches started an organization called C.H.U.M. for the purpose of addressing needs of poor and homeless in Duluth. The Central Hillside was an area that especially needed attention, thus “Central Hillside”. I remember the founding members coming to our church in the Woodland neighborhood and explaining what the mission of this group would be and asking our congregation to be involved. I remember this, and I remember CHUM’s beginning. I do not remember if our church was a founding member, but being a United Methodist, I do remember that the larger UMC, First UMC was instrumental in its beginnings. I also know that Woodland UMC, and now Hope UMC (after our merger) has been a strong supporter of CHUM since it’s beginnings in 1973.

The thing I think is interesting, well sad, more than interesting is this: I’m sure that 33 years ago, this group of churches thought that by addressing this issue, that this problem
of hunger, homelessness, poverty would be solved and not be around 33 years later. Isn’t it sad, justice wise that we still are dealing with these issues?

I’m proud that I live in a city that has people that care about these issues. I’m happy that there is an organization that I can tap into to volunteer and help those that are in need in
our community. In 1973, I believe the needs were pretty central to the Central Hillside of town, now, in 2006, the need is all over the city.

I’m very pleased to tell you that our pastor of my church, Hope United Methodist, Rev.
Michelle Hargrave, as of last Thursday, is the new President of CHUM. She came to Hope UMC, 2 ½ years ago from Minneapolis. She became active in CHUM right away, since our church is part of CHUM. She has been on the board, and now has committed to lead the organization. Michelle has compassion and a real heart for justice. She has brought energy to our congregation, and I know (we know) that she will bring the same energy, ideas, compassion and justice to the CHUM Board.

Congratulations, Michelle, and thank you for your passion and your commitment. Hope UMC supports your presidency of a worthy organization in our community. May The Lord continue to bless your ministry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Your words are most gracious, Linda. It is good to be reminded of this history here. Now we'll make a little more history.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>