Friday, February 03, 2006

January's Past


Linda's Thoughts from Duluth



Gee, I just realized that we are in the month of February, and that January is gone. I had wanted to write a few lines about past January's before the start of Feb. Well, a bit behind, but here a few thoughts I want to say about January's in Duluth these last 36
years.

January 15, 1969 - Bob and I have our first official date, though we've known each other since
November.

January 13, 1970 - Bob and I celebrate our first month Wedding Anniversary, in Duluth
The Flame Restaurant by the lake.

January, 1970 - I find what "wind chill factor" means, and how it feels.

January 27, 1970 - we celebrate the first of many birthdays of my wonderful Mother
in law, Dolly.

January, 1973 - We realize that after buying our first home in the fall, that
we need two incomes to keep it. I go job hunting.

Jan. 25,1979 - We welcome our second child to our family, a little brother for Dawn. We are now 4 and very happy. Bittersweet day, we say goodbye to Bob's Aunt Rosie, she passes away this same morning as our son's birth. We loved Aunt Rosie, Dolly loses another sister.

January, 1993 - I start the year with a great part time job, as church secretary at UUMC. I love it. It's been 14 years since I was in the work field. I was lucky to be a fulltime Mother at home for 14 years raising our children. Scott is 12, Rob is 15 and Dawn is all grown up, maybe time to bring some part time wages to the household.

January, 1998 - Wow, Judy, director of Duluth office American Cancer Society, calls me out of the blue, asking if I'd consider working part time for her in the afternoons, after the morning at the church office. I took this unsolicted job offer as a sign from God, that I was to do this.
I had worked with Judy during my at home years, as a volunteer for ACS.

January,1998 - My Dad goes thru Chemo for cancer. I fly to Pennsylvania to be with him. The thing I will never forget, the Dr. told him the treatment would only give him "some time" not a cure, and with his lung disease (COPD) he may want to consider not going thru Chemo, as it
would be so hard on him. He said he wanted the treatment. I told Dad I was thankful that he made that decision and I was sure the Lord would give him a miracle. His answer to me was "Linda, in order for The Lord to give me a miracle, I must do my part." Many
prayers for Dad, 5 years later the Dr. proclaimed him cancer free!

Also, this is the year that we must admit, and not deny anymore, that our dear Mother, Dolly is suffering from dimensia, early alzheimers. This starts a very hard year for our family, as we see
Dolly's mind decline right before our eyes. We care take her, handle her medications, do all that we can to help her. In May she has a stroke, that takes her body as well as her mind. She
will spend 5 months short of the next 5 years in a nursing home, a sad five years for all of us.

January, 2003 The Lord takes Dolly home. So hard for us to know that we will not be seeing her every week at the Nursing Home. Bob was such a faithful son, seeing her every Monday night, no matter what. We know she is at peace, it's us that are left that are lonely. She was a kind, loving Mother in law to me.

January 2003 Oh no-my brother, Jerry, 3 years younger than me was diagnosed with lung cancer almost a year ago. Jan. 23 goes into Hospice, same nursing home that our Mother is in...(Lord's doing we are sure)... I flew home Jan. 23, Jerry died Jan. 25th. Mother was with him
through the night, before she called us. All five of us siblings were with him when he took his last breath. This was an honor for us to be with him at the end. I thank The Lord I was there.

January, 2006 We think of Dolly often, but most especially Jan. 27, her birthday. We celebrate Bob's 59th Birthday on Jan. 20 and Rob's 27th birthday on Jan. 27.

January, 2006 I start the first entry in my blog! I remember how 2006 is the warmest since I've been here in 36 yrs. I then hear the next day that it is the warmest in 136 years!!
-- This January I realize that I am now without a Mother. My Mother passed away in May and Dolly in January of '03. It's a very strange feeling, I was told, and now I know..very strange. I
want to be closer to my daughter who lives 2 1/2 hours away. I call her more and visit her more. My sister Julie and I have become even closer this past year, if that is possible...us grown women together...

One more thing about the month of January during the years of Scott's playing hockey, we spent a lot of time in hockey rinks and going over the road to watch him play hockey. Wonderful times, wonderful friends we made with other parents, and it was great watching these boys grow through the years. Some of them are now married or planning to be married soon. Where do the January's (and years) go?

May The Lord bless all of our January's!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>