Saturday, November 19, 2011

The First Jacob Wiley Reunion

This is a family photo of the Jacob Wiley Family, at their first reunion in the 50's.  These are my Maternal Mother's Aunts and Uncles.  My Grandma's brothers and sisters.  The man seated in the middle of the front row is my Great Grandfather, Jacob Wiley.  Grandma lived on the farm with him, the farm that they grew up on.  Her brothers and sisters would often come up there and visit their Dad and their sister.  Especially on Sundays when I was often with Grandma.  Therefore, I got to know my Great Aunts and Uncles as well as I knew my Aunts and Uncles (and that was well).  I was so delighted when about 5 years ago I found an 8 X 10 of this photo at the house when going through my Mother's photos.  I brought it back and have it framed and hanging in my home.
I am the third oldest grandchild in the family, and we are in the front row, along with the younger cousins.  Great Grandpa and my Grandma are holding the two youngest that were babies then.  I was 10 years old when Great Grandpa died, so I remember him pretty well.  His was the first funeral I ever attended, and everytime I smell carnations, I think of his funeral.  I remember the smell like it was yesterday and I remember that each of us grandchildren were given a carnation in one of those plastic containers holding water.  

The photo below here is the way those Great Aunts and Uncles looked while I was growing up, and I remember when this was taken at one of our reunions (which we had every year, at a local church grove).  We attended the reunion every year, and I really believe these reunions along with reunions that my Mother's Dad's family has every year, and the one my Father's family had every year, is one of the reasons I grew up valuing my family and have continued to value and treasure the memories I have of not only cousins, not only Aunts and Uncles, but also Great Aunts, Uncles and second and third cousins!!  

                                                 My Grandma is on the right in the front row
                                            her brothers and sisters - one brother is missing - he
                                             lived in California and wasn't there that day.

                                           Photo taken the same day as the first photo - First Reunion
                                            that is still being held annually every summer, after
                                           all these years!
Getting to know all of these lovely people as I was growing up, is why family and 
all family connections are very important to me!!!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>