Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Two Goodbyes

Two Goodbyes
This morning’s newspaper had a front page story that just tore at my heart. It was about a Mother who earlier this week had to say goodbye to not one, but two sons that were going off to the military. One of them was on his way to the coast of Iraq and Iran, to serve as a weapons officer, and the other could very well be on his way in the near future to Iraq. Her sons are 24 and 28, the same ages as our sons (Rob will be 28 in January, and Scott is 24.) All I could think about when reading the article was “I’m so sorry for this Mother, and I’m so thankful that our sons are not in the military.” I’m not saying I wouldn’t be proud of their service, I’m saying I’m so thankful that they have not chosen the military life. I often think of the young people serving our country, especially those in harm’s way, I keep them in my prayers, I worry about our country being at war, and this war in Iraq just brings back too many memories of the boys I grew up with being drafted to the Vietnam war in the late 60’s. (My husband joined the army, so he would have some say in his career, rather than being drafted, and he served in Thailand, seeing war there) In all my thoughts about the war in Iraq, I am always thankful that none of my loved ones are there (although one nephew from PA was there, he is back home now). I’m thankful that the draft is not in place, I’m thankful for those that want to be in the military. I don’t think I will stop thinking of the Mother in this article and her two sons, the same age as our sons, for a very long time. I feel for her and for every Mother and Father who have to send their sons/daughters off to war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>