Saturday, April 22, 2006

Friends

You didn’t hear from me yesterday, because I was sick in bed most of the day. You don’t know how good you feel till you don’t feel good. Does that make sense?

We had made a date about a month ago with friends that live in Two Harbors. I have been friends with this couple for quite a few years, and us women keep saying we want to get our husbands together, as we think they would get along well. We finally picked a date to have lunch at their house. I was glad I was feeling better this morning, because I would have hated to cancel when we’ve talked about doing this for so long. And after a day in bed, it is always good to get back outside.

I hadn’t seen them for a while, so it was really good to see them. After a delicious lunch we visited, and had a good afternoon. They remodeled their kitchen themselves, and did a great job. They live in a 100 year old Victorian home, it’s beautiful. We girls were right; the guys did hit it off. They are both golfers and they talked about getting together to golf. We will be seeing more of them, and we will look at the calendar to find a date for them to come to our house for a visit.

For those of you not in Duluth, Two Harbors is north of Duluth, a 20 mile drive along Lake Superior. It is a pretty drive. Today was sunny, and I was surprised, after the rain we had this week that we didn’t see buds on any of the trees, and things still looked bare and brown. In a few weeks, it will look much different, and be even more of a pleasure to make the drive.

When I was growing up, it seemed that people visited much more often then they do now. Many times friends would just stop by, but it seems that the protocol now a days, is to call ahead, or make a definite day and time to visit. I guess it’s because life is so hectic these days with usually both the man and women being employed. The days seem to blend into weeks, into months, and pretty soon you realize you haven’t socialized with any friends in a long time. We must make deliberate plans to keep in touch with old friends and to make new friends. If you don’t, as your children leave the nest, you will find that you miss those friends and the social life, so you need to revive and nurture those friendships again. It takes effort and time, but its well worth the time invested! Independently, I have a lot of friends, and I would be lost without my friends. Since our children are grown, I find that it’s pleasurable for Bob and me to socialize with friends again as a couple, something we haven’t done much since we aren’t “hockey and baseball parents” anymore! But, we are getting back into the social swing and plan to keep in touch more closely with friends.

We thank our friends for the lovely day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>