Thursday, April 20, 2006

Daddy - Two Years gone

When we are growing up, even when we are adults, for some reason we just can’t imagine the day when we don’t have our parents. You know you will lose your grandparents, but you just don’t think you will lose your parents. Well, maybe I should revise that statement and say that
I couldn’t imagine it. Reality came closer though, when I lost my Mother in law. She was older than my parents. After we lost Dolly, I realized that someday I would have to face losing my Mother and Dad.

My Dad lived with his COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) for almost 15 years. He handled his disease well; his pulmonary Doctor told him he was a “wonder” because Dad was his longest patient living with the disease that he treated. So, I put off the thoughts of the day when the disease would bring him down. He would get pneumonia, but he always came through it.

Two years ago March, I rushed home because he didn’t get over his pneumonia well. He came back from the hospital in a very weakened state and the Doctors said that his heart had been affected by the hard work it had to do for the lungs. His body was worn out. We were afraid we were going to lose him then. I’m so thankful that I went home. Daddy was not well, but he knew that I was there. He could barely talk, but he whispered to me “Thank you for coming”. That meant a lot to me, I sat by his bedside and was able to spend time with him. I didn’t want to leave to come back to Duluth, but knew I had to. The Lord gave me the chance to talk with him and to tell him how much I loved him and what a good Dad he was. When I had to say goodbye and tell him I had to return to Duluth, he nodded his head with understanding, and told me that he loved me.

April 20, 2004 Daddy had his breakfast. (He was in a nursing home at this time). When the nurses came back to take the tray, he was gone. His heart had given out, his body had worn out from the stress it had on it for all those years. He had a bad evening the day before and my sister was there at his bedside until after 2 am. She had wanted to be with him when he passed, but I told her that Daddy probably didn’t want that. Daddy would have been 84 on his next birthday that year.

My daughter and I went home for his service. All of us children talked about what a wonderful Father he was. We have wonderful memories. We loved him very much and miss him very much.

Daddy, we think of you everyday, we love you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lois said...

My dad will be gone 43 years this September...I still miss him!

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>