Thursday, April 13, 2006

April 13, 1962 - A Special Day


Today is April 13th - it is a very special day for me. It is a day I will never forget. Today 44 years ago, my “baby sister” was born. Today is my sister Julia’s birthday!

I told you earlier that there were 8 years in between us three older siblings and the last three siblings. This means that when my last three siblings were born, I was 13, 14 and 15 years old. I was old enough to remember each day they came home from the hospital, and I was old enough to help with their care. The last three did come close together. Mom told me this story: She and Dad planned for Tim, the first of the last three, they thought it would be nice to have a baby around again. When Tim was 5 months old she went to the Dr. for her belated post baby check up. The Dr. asked her how she felt, and she told him “Fine, just a sore throat”. He told her that he was sure she was pregnant. She didn’t think so, but guess what…she was! So, October of that year, Mark was born. I was delighted when Tim and Mark were born. I toted on them, and helped Mom with the diapering, feeding, etc. I just adored these two little ones. I did wish for a sister each time, but enjoyed having the little boys. So when Mom announced that we would have a brother or sister again, I just prayed that this time it would be a girl. I really wanted a sister so badly. I was now outnumbered, 4 brothers, no sisters. It was just Mom and I in a houseful of guys! Mom never told me anything about my sister coming along; I only remember thinking that she just had to have a girl!

When the boys were born, Mom and Dad had names picked for them. I gave suggestions and chose names that I wanted them to use. They did not use my name for Tim, and when they chose the name Mark for a boy for the second pregnancy, I did not want that name! I wanted another name, and was sure I would get my way, because they didn’t choose my name when Tim was born. But, Grandma came home from a visit to the hospital and told me that little “Mark” was doing well! Well, now, I can’t even imagine the name I wanted at that time! His name could only be Mark! Mark Andrew, I learned to love the name!

All during the pregnancy of the third, I was lobbying my Mother to choose the name I wanted and that name was “Julia”. It was an “old” name, but I liked it. I didn’t know anyone with that name, and Mom liked names that weren’t common and popular, so I thought I had a good chance. She had always wanted the name Jean Elizabeth if she had a girl. I couldn’t imagine a “Jean”, but I sure could imagine a Julia! I think Mom took pity on me because I didn’t get my boy’s names, because they named her Julia Elizabeth. Elizabeth was after my Maternal Grandmother. Mom’s middle name was Elizabeth, my daughter’s middle name is Elizabeth and so is our granddaughter’s middle name, all in memory of our Grandma Elizabeth.

So, today, April 13th is the day I finally got my SISTER! I was thrilled!!!! After 4 brothers, I finally had my sister! I was 15 years old. I told all my friends in school how happy I was. She was the most beautiful baby. The two boys had brown eyes and brown hair, Julia had blue eyes and blonde hair and as she grew older, her hair remained blonde and her eyes remained blue. She takes after my Dad, with his blue eyes. She and Jerry were the only ones with the blue eyes and blonde hair.

She was a beautiful baby, beautiful girl and is now a beautiful woman. She married and raised two great children, Hope, who I have written about earlier, and Mitchell, who will soon be 16 years old! She was a wonderful daughter to our parents. Since she lived right up the lane from the farm, she became their caretaker when their health failed. We are so thankful for the care she gave Mom and Dad. She was a loving daughter and is a loving sister to the five of us!

I helped to raise her and the two young boys, and I enjoyed those years so much. After I had my driver’s license I would take them all over, on errands, to Grandma’s house, and to the local ice cream stand for ice cream. They tell me they especially remember the trips to the ice cream stand! I really had a lot of fun with my sister and brothers. I know the older brothers enjoyed the three little ones too, but I know that they were kept so busy helping Dad on the farm and with the chores, and maybe didn’t get the time with them that I did.

I believe that having three babies and young ones in the house, kept our lives as teenagers in better prospective. You learn a lot about life when you share the babies with your parents. I feel so lucky that I had this experience.

Julia, or Julie as we called her, shared my bedroom when she outgrew the crib. Julie was 7 years old when I married and left home for Minnesota. She was my flower girl at our wedding. Grandma G. made my wedding gown, and she also made Julie’s flower girl dress.

When I came to Minnesota, another reason I was so homesick was because these three young siblings had been such a big everyday part of my life, more so, than when the siblings are next to your own age. I loved these three little ones like they were my own children. I missed them so much! I watched them grow for seven years, and from afar I watched them become wonderful adults, along with my older brothers. I was very fortunate to have had 4 brothers and a sister in my growing up years, and fortunate to have them now too!

Happy Birthday dear sister Julie, I’m thinking of you on your special day. You are so special to me. I am remembering that your birthday was a special day for me 44 years ago today! - Love from your Big Sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>