Sunday, March 05, 2006

Suffragettes


My day of rest yesterday made a difference today. By the afternoon I felt much peppier. I scurried around and did all the laundry and things I should have done yesterday. I even made two dishes to use for meals the next two nights when I know I’ll be too tired to cook.

Snow fell softly all day. It has stopped now, and we got about 6 inches. Rob and Bob just came in from snow blowing.

I watched part of a movie (missed the first part) called “Iron Jawed Angels” on TV. What a powerful movie! It was about Alice Paul (photo above) and Lucy Burns who were suffragettes in the early 1900’s. Alice Paul, (1885-1977) was one of the leading figures responsible for the passage of the 19th amendment to our constitution (sufferage) in 1920. The movie was made in 2004. I don’t even remember hearing of it, it starred Hillary Swank as Paul. Becca, whose blog link I have to the left, recommends a movie each day on her blog. I wonder if she has seen this one. Anyhow, my point is that any woman that sees this movie will never take the women’s vote for granted in our country. The brave women, who fought for our right to vote, went through a lot to get us this vote. The movie showed how the men of our country really did not want the women to vote. It showed the abuse they received. They were thrown into prison, even when they did not break a law. They risked divorce and losing custody of their children, when the husbands would not support their cause. This movie made me more interested in suffrage history so I went to the web and read more. Learn more, search “suffrage” and "Alice Paul". When the next ballot comes up for us to vote on, remember what the brave women in the past did to give us our voting right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

Linda,
I haven't seen this movie yet, but it sounds good. I wonder if it's in video stores...

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>