Thursday, March 02, 2006

Vote Result


Referendum Result

For my readers in PA, I thought you might want to know the results of our referendum vote on Tuesday that I told you about, for the expansion of our DECC. The vote was 61% yes to 39% no. The voters approved adding 0.75 percentage points on the citywide food and beverage tax paid in restaurants and bars, to help fund $67 million expansion to the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. Our governor wanted us to do the referendum, to prove that the people are behind the expansion. If passed, he promised to put the plan on the legislature schedule to pay for half the project. The University of Minnesota Duluth has also pledged 16 million toward the project. The turnout for the vote was stronger than expected. Almost 23 percent of registered voters went to the polls. The voter turnout in November’s general election was 28 percent. (I personally,cannot believe that those percentages seem high, that means there are still a lot of people that do not vote!).

Well, off to another hectic day at the job. I’ve been swamped and overwhelmed these days, and have been going early and staying late. Don’t know if I will be extra early today, we had 2 -4 inches of snow overnight. It’s still snowing, but is to stop within the next hour our so. If I’m ready to go before Bob, it means I will be the one to move his car (he parks behind me) and clean off both cars….ummm maybe I’ll leave when Bob leaves this morning! Most of our staff are to go to St. Paul this morning for a meeting, hope they have safe travel, and I’m glad I’m not included. There will just be three of us in the office today. But, we will be too busy to party! Getting ready for Daffodil Days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>