Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fat Tuesday

Today is Fat Tuesday. Oh my, I just realized that I didn’t have my homemade donuts today. But, I don’t think I know anyone that makes homemade donuts for Fat Tuesday anymore. Do you make homemade donuts? St. John’s Catholic church in Woodland makes them the first weekend of each month, I’ll have to buy some this weekend. It’s not the same as having them on Fat Tuesday!

Tomorrow is March 1st: March, the snowiest month in Duluth. March is the month of high school hockey state tournaments. The month that gives us hope for winter’s ending and spring coming soon. This year March 1st, also marks Ash Wednesday in the Christian Church, the beginning of Lent. 40 days before Easter. March also brings Daffodil Week for The American Cancer Society. I’ll write more about that later this week or next. It brings Mardi Gras in New Orleans, which I hear they will be having this year, in spite of Katrina.

My friend Lois wrote today about “Fat Tuesday”, the day before Ash Wed. The women of our church that I grew up in, made homemade donuts and sold them that day. My Grandmother always helped to make them. I remember how good they were, and remember Mom telling me they were made for “Fat Tuesday”. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I understood what that was all about! Click onto Lois's Blog link on the left side of my blog, if you would like to read more about the history of Mardi gras and Lent. She has written a nice piece about the history, and traditions of Mardi gras, Fat Tuesday, etc. I couldn’t say it better, so will refer you to her writing.

I don’t think I will ever get donuts as good as the ones that the Ladies Aid from Red Mount Church made!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lois said...

I had never heard about homemade donuts on Fat Tuesday but after reading that folks needed to use up fat, eggs and dairy before Lent it makes sense!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>