Monday, October 09, 2006

Friend, Fire ... Tradition

Friend, Fire ... Tradition
Friends - it's great to have friends. Yesterday, my friend Sharon couldn't take the drive up the North Shore with me, so I was thinking that morning, the leaves are going to be all down by next weekend...I really want to take the drive today. Then I thought, "hey, I've got lots of friends, why not ask another friend to go with me?" So, I did. My friend Lois, we visit at church, and via e mail and phone, but we don't do a whole lot together otherwise. I asked her, she said yes right away, and said it had been a long time since she was up there, and she would love to go. We had the nicest time. We chatted as we looked at the scenery, I was with someone who enjoyed the scenery as much as I did, and we ooh'd and ahh'd together. We did decide that last weekend was the peak, but oh well, we would enjoy the day anyway. We even stopped to visit one of her friends that lived along the shore, she hadn't seen them in over a year. We sat in their front yard overlooking Lake Superior and we watched a ship go by. Chuck said it was a coal ship taking coal from Superior up to Taconite Harbor. We stopped at a craft shop and looked around and saw some things our friend had there on consignment. On the way back to Duluth we stopped and had a bite to eat in Two Harbors. Culvers, we don't have a Culvers in Duluth. It was a great afternoon, satisfying for both of us, and it was great to share it with a friend.

This morning's News Tribune in the local section has a column by Sam Cook. His column this week is titled "Friend, Fire part of a Timeless Tradition" he writes about sharing conversation with an old friend over a fire by Lake Superior. I could relate to the article. It's like what I did yesterday. Click on my link to the left, "Duluth News Tribune" and check out Sam's article. It's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>