Saturday, October 07, 2006

Serendipity

Serendipity
I haven’t talked to Sharon the last few days, and she isn’t home today, so don’t know if we are going up the shore tomorrow. On my errand running today, I made sure that I took the long way around everywhere, so that I could see the colored leaves. It looks like last weekend was the peak. We had rain and wind this past week, and so there are an awful lot of leaves on the ground right now. Today is very windy, so we will lose more. The temperature was great, when I got back home at 5:30, it was still 75 degrees. It’s cloudy though, and the lake wasn’t as blue as some days. The leaves weren’t as many as last weekend, but they were still pretty.

One stop I made today was to a friend’s new business she and her daughter just started. I wanted to show my support of their new venture. It is an old Victorian home in Lakeside on Superior Street, and every room in the home is decorated with wonderful things to look at and of course there is the “opportunity” to purchase what you see. There are antiques, collectibles and retro things. You know, now a days, “retro” is in. I was amazed at looking at familiar things from my childhood, which are now considered antiques and “retro”. They have done a beautiful job. It’s very interesting to look at and they have quite the assortment of nice things. They have it decorated for fall and Halloween. After Halloween, they will decorate it for the holidays, and have an official open house. Yesterday was the first day they were opened, and my friend told me that after they closed at 6 pm, they had a lot of empty spots to fill back up. I asked how long they had been planning this. Her daughter has had this idea in her mind for a very long time. She said the two of them started looking for a home to “decorate” 3 years ago and started collecting things then. Her daughter finally found and purchased this home in May. I did find something that I just had to have. It is a small solid wood cabinet on legs, it opens on two sides with a lid on top, to be used to put things like books in (that’s what I will use it for), or it would make a nice sewing basket. It looks very old fashioned, and is most likely an antique. I thought the price would be high, but it was very reasonable. Since I haven't bought anything new for my house for a long time, I thought I would get it. It looks perfect in our dining room, I set it next to my antique curio cabinet that I brought from the farm house in Pennsylvania last summer. It belonged to my Great Grandmother, and was passed down to my Mother. It sat in the farm house's kitchen since my Grandmother has been gone in 1975. Ha, it cost me as much to ship to Duluth as it might have cost if I had to buy it at an estate sale or auction. My husband thought I was crazy, but, it was worth it, I’m happy that I didn’t let him talk me out of shipping it. I think I took a photo of it to show my siblings how it looked in my home, if I find the photo, I’ll post it.

The name of the business is “Serendipity” (everything chic for home and garden). The address is 4407 East Superior Street.

I also bought a beautiful handmade silk fall arrangement for my dining room table. It’s always nice to get something new and fresh for your home. Now that puts me in the mood to change my décor in the kitchen from the summer sunflowers to my fall leaves and fall theme decorations. Maybe I’ll get that done tonight or tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>